The Swinburne Leadership Institute is a joint university and benefactor-funded research centre, founded in 2013.
Our focus is on the purpose of leadership, or leadership with purpose, specifically on “Leadership for the Greater Good“.
Our research activities include:
- A major Leadership survey on public beliefs about leadership in Australia; specifically perceptions of trustworthiness and concern for the public good on the part of leaders across all sides of Australian society – in politics, business, industrial relations, religion and the community. From this data we are deriving an Index of Leadership for the Greater Good, which we intend to make an annual project.
- Researching ways of clarifying, enhancing, and diffusing the practice of leadership for the greater good through a coordinated program of leadership research involving Swinburne academics and postgraduate students.
- Becoming a Centre of Excellence in postgraduate Leadership Research Education.
We have a strong commitment to engagement and advocacy to enhance public understanding of leadership as Leadership for the Greater Good and the ways in which the practice of leadership can be enhanced. We are doing this through:
- Building a network of leadership practitioners and researchers
- Holding regular series of public forums known as “Swinburne Leadership Dialogues” addressing relevant leadership themes in diverse and often innovative contexts. Many of the Dialogues are broadcast nationally on ABC RN’s Big Ideas programs, and all are available for audio and/or video podcast through our website and through Australian Policy Online
- Providing public commentaries and analyses in print, broadcast and online media
- Conducting a range of leadership talks, panels and workshops for community and business groups.